Re: suspect mailers (was Re: restricted form)

2003-04-11 21:16:36
At 16:44 2003-04-11 -0700, procmail(_at_)deliberate(_dot_)net wrote:

total bulk mail, but it does exist. These clients are heads and
shoulders above some of their manufacturers - who are still using
BCC lists and huge attachments <sigh>.

Well, for the most part, a massive BCC is all a regular discussion list is anyway. The MailCast type things chiefly offer personalization - basically, simple email mailmerge, which means that each message is really being delivered to only one individual - the person to which it was personalized to.

        1) There are, surprisingly, Windoze based servers (though
the thought personally scares me); and,

Yea, I'm all too painfully aware - it seems virtually every braindead SMTP implementation is available strictly on the windowz platform. I've tracked almost every discussion list loop I've seen to windowz mail servers (I'm not talking about the abundance of vacation messages, I'm talking about braindead SMTP hosts that receive a message and then interpret the headers for recipient data, ignoring the envelope).

        2) Some folks, like the client above, use the MailCast
tool to [responsibily] send only thru their legitimate ISP relay.

Most ISPs worth doing business with host mailing lists.  Even outbound only.

We could go round and round - mail programs don't spam people - people spam people. In my case, I'm screening for people who happen to be found carrying any of a number of mail programs recoognized as finding frequent use for spam.

        MailCast is free (www.mindcast.com), and I know of at

They may have offered it at one point, but I'd be surprised if you could actually find it anywhere on their sparse site right now.

There's a package called MailCast offered for US$2995.00 at:
<http://www.smartagreements.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/sem.html?E+scstore>

Geez, I should whip up a procmail recipe to do the same thing and start selling it for half of that. I'd be rolling in it...

There is also MailCast for Domino servers:
<http://www.sometrix.com.au/sm/mailcast.jsp;jsessionid=20ojketq61>

least one legitiamte user who had no idea it was seen as a "Spam
Program" by an authorative source such as yourself [no disrepect
intended here].

I never cited myself as an _authoritative_source_. I'm full of a lot of things, but authority probably isn't one of them.

        Please note that I do not suggest that you change your
mind on MailCast.

I'm not planning to, but thanks anyway. <g>

        While I do use this filtering (but not thru scoring), I
kind of think it's somewhat out of date as the spammers have
already pretty much adapted to it. I see a lot of randomized
x-mailer use.

Which begs litterally the opposite approach: deduct from the spam score for known regular mail client software.

x-mailer certainly isn't the only method used to identify probable spam.