Re: Using Procmail for RBL Blacklists

2003-04-22 13:36:08
Don Hammond explained,

When the total score of all scored conditions reaches 2147483647,
procmail considers them all a match and stops processing them.
(Non-scored conditions are still processed.)  This number,
2147483647, is commonly called the supremum.

Yup.

The infemum, -2147483647, works similarly, considering all scored
conditions to not match as soon as the total score reaches that number.

1. Not exactly. When the score reaches -2147483647, the entire recipe is deemed not to match, and even if there are unscored conditions remaining, they are skipped and not tested. That is consistent with procmail's ANDing of conditions; just think of all the scored conditions as one bundle, whose net result is to be ANDed with the results of all the unscored conditions.

2. Dallman Ross has shown me multiple references that the spelling "infemum," which I've used often in the past on this list in that context because that was the spelling I learned in college, is wrong. It is "infimum," and I apologize to anyone I've misled. I wish it were the other way, because the wrong spelling resembles "inferior" and gives a better impression of the meaning than the right orthography's resemblance to "infinite."