Re: Using Procmail for RBL Blacklists

2003-04-22 20:02:00
On 22 Apr, David W. Tamkin wrote:
| Don Hammond explained,
|
| > When the total score of all scored conditions reaches 2147483647,
| > procmail considers them all a match and stops processing them.
| > (Non-scored conditions are still processed.)  This number,
| > 2147483647, is commonly called the supremum.
|
| Yup.
|
| > The infemum, -2147483647, works similarly, considering all scored
| > conditions to not match as soon as the total score reaches that number.
|
| 1. Not exactly.  When the score reaches -2147483647, the entire recipe
| is deemed not to match, and even if there are unscored conditions
| remaining, they are skipped and not tested.  That is consistent with
| procmail's ANDing of conditions; just think of all the scored conditions
| as one bundle, whose net result is to be ANDed with the results of all
| the unscored conditions.

You are so correct.  Thanks for cleaning up after me ... again.  I was
trying to offer enough to be helpful without covering the topic
comprehensively in my own words.  We have a hint here of what a
disaster that would've been, but clearly I didn't stop short enough.

| 2. Dallman Ross has shown me multiple references that the spelling
| "infemum," which I've used often in the past on this list in that
| context because that was the spelling I learned in college, is wrong.
| It is "infimum," and I apologize to anyone I've misled.  I wish it were
| the other way, because the wrong spelling resembles "inferior" and gives
| a better impression of the meaning than the right orthography's
| resemblance to "infinite."

This is funny.  I actually tried looking it up at dict.org and got
nothing with that spelling.  So I searched through my saved mail and
found it there.  I can't say for sure, but it probably was in a message
from you. Nonetheless, I take full responsibility for the mistake here.
It was my decision, after all, to ignore the failed lookup and plow
ahead with the first (mis)spelling I found. ;-)

If it make you feel any better, I once argued in class with an English
professor about the spelling of the word dilemma.  I was adamant it was
dilemna. I think that was the origin of the phrase: "What's the point in
being stupid if you can't prove it?"

--
Email address in From: header is valid  * but only for a couple of days *
This is my reluctant response to spammers' unrelenting address harvesting