Two-pass procmailrc file: question

2003-04-24 21:54:45
I have been supporting a procmailrc file that I didn't originally create, and I find something odd about its structure. The file is structured like this:

:0 c:
* pattern-to-match
/file/to/store/pattern

...many similar rules for different patterns...

:0 :
* pattern-to-match
/dev/null

...many similar rules for the same patterns...

In brief, procmail matches every message twice, storing it after the first match and deleting it after the second. I've been trying to figure out why the file might be set up this way. I suspect it may have had something to do with improving performance or reliability under high load, but from what I can gather from the man pages, faqs, and tips, it seems as though performance would be better with a single match-and-deliver rule.

I did search the archives but wasn't able to find anything relevant. Is anyone familiar with this method of handling a somewhat high volume of mail? Is this a known technique to accomplish some goal that I am not aware of?

Thanks,
David Meissner