Re: Two-pass procmailrc file: question

2003-04-25 22:28:10
At 11:52 PM 4/24/2003 -0700, you wrote:

I think I know what's going down - the 'c' is because EACH occurrence of a matching pattern will be stored to its respective file.

I think you have hit on it - thank you for the insight. The ruleset may be designed to allow a message to be stored in multiple files. This hadn't occurred to me because in practice, each message does only match once.

The conditions-to-match in your case just might be individual email addresses - it's a kludgy way to handle using one account to virtualize mailboxes using procmail. I'd never advise such a thing - there's TONS of problems with the apprach.

I wasn't specific enough in my example, but you're right. The pattern to match is intended to match a recipient address (although the rule doesn't use ^TO_), with the result that mail for a number of recipients is separated into individual files. As it is, the ruleset would be able to handle a message with multiple recipients.

And also, thanks for your suggestions on improving the efficiency of the final delivery. I will be working on that next.

-David Meissner