Re: YANQ: Reply to an alias

2003-04-30 08:04:39
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:49:14AM -0300, Gerardo Herzig -Departamento de
Proyectos Especiales e Internet- Facultad de Medicina wrote:
Hi. I have this situation:
I have an account (myself(_at_)another(_dot_)site(_dot_)org) who is an alias
to my own email
(gherzig(_at_)fmed(_dot_)uba(_dot_)ar). Now, if my rule rejects emails if
their are > 3000 KB,
i want to reject the email with something like 'The message send to $USER is
too big. Try again :)'

But...in that case, $USER ($LOGNAME, formail -x 'From', whatever) will be
gherzig(_at_)fmed(_dot_)uba(_dot_)ar, and i want to say
myself.another.site.org!!

I can't find how can i get the original address. I guess this is a common
question, i'm sorry, but as a novice i could't find the answer.

The problem is simillar to many virtualizing multiple domain addresses
to one address.  The question lies in is procmail running directly on
your the mail server or are you using fetchmail.  If it is the first,
I would sugest forwarding the mail to
gherzig+othersite(_at_)fmed(_dot_)uba(_dot_)ar,
and then use the mechanism for plussed addresses to determine that it
was from the other email.  Usually done by setting a varaiable equal
to $1 and then testing against that var to determine the value of the
plussed adress.

If you're fetchmailing it into procmail then you're likley out of luck.

--
Till Later,
Jake <karrde(_at_)viluppo(_dot_)net>