Re: Challenge-Response (PYLM)

2003-05-09 03:49:16
On Thu, 8 May 2003, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

PSE> Hot on the heels of recent discussion here about such systems, be prepared
PSE> to be bombarded with CR crap from a major service provider:
PSE>
PSE> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22390-2003May6.html>

I read that article yesterday and now my signature is techno-babble
enabled.

One wonders if mail loop traffic will exceed spam traffic for a while.

The article did mention that the spamming community had already begun to
send mail pretending to be a challenge messages. Inevitable I suppose.
Hopefully, mass usage of these systems will fail due to the spammers'
masquerades and then the spammers will abandon them as cover.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A challenge-
  response system may be invoked if this email is very old. )