Re: Ways to check for CRLF? (Was: Error???)

2003-06-13 09:04:41
On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:39:00AM +0100, Nancy McGough wrote:

On 12 Jun 2003 Tom Most (webdr(_at_)sonic(_dot_)net) wrote:
One of the include files was in PC format.

I discuss this in my Procmail Quick Start in this section:

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#unixASCII>

I suggest that people use the Unix 'file' command to see if a
file contains a CRLF. Unfortunately not all versions of 'file'
support this. Does anyone have suggestions for easy ways for a
newbie to find out if a file contains a CRLF?

I would think "file" would be fine, but how about:

        grep -sq ^M$ spample && echo y

That's a real ^M in there.  I actually created it by typing
^C^J in my shell terminal.

--
dman