Re: Ways to check for CRLF? (Was: Error???)

2003-06-13 11:32:02
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:50:32 -0400
From: Hal Burgiss <hal(_at_)burgiss(_dot_)net>

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 04:29:59PM +0000, chrisp(_at_)finger8(_dot_)com wrote:

    $ sed 's/^M$//' < crlf > lf

Is this any better than dos2unix command (which would seem much easier
to explain to less experienced users).

--
Hal Burgiss

This depends. I've never used a system that came out of the box
with a dos2unix command, though I've heard of it and seen examples
of its use many times. I would recommend dos2unix for less-
experienced users, and I would consider making a shell script
if this sed usage if you don't have dos2unix. (I just think sed is
much more fun. :P)

    $ cat mydos2unix
    #!/bin/sh

    sed 's/^M$//'
    # the end

Then, use the redirection, as I did in the email to which you
responded. Alternately, you can modify the script to have some
degree of error-checking, etc.

Another alternative, of course, is to urge users to edit in UNIX
the text files, rather than in Windows.

    Chris