Resetting $LOG variable

2003-06-14 09:01:21
Hi,

Goal: I am sending quite a bit of unwanted mail to /dev/null with
procmail and would like to have the logfile reflect some kind of
description as to why. Some is spam, some is list mail that is of no
interest, some is html, etc, etc. $LOG would seem to be the answer,
but what is happening is that the assigned value is concatenated as
new values are assigned.

Example $HOME/.procmailrc:

LOG="X: "
[recipe1 blah...]

LOG="Y: "
[recipe2 blah...]

LOG="Z: "
[recipe3 blah...]

For any mail that gets this far, the logfile will have entries like:

  X: Y: Z: From blah(_at_)blah(_dot_)net .... etc.

I have tried:

LOG=

LOG=""

LOG=''

unset LOG

and probably a number of other fruitless attempts to empty the
variable since it doesn't want to do it by itself :/

I also googled this, and searched the archives, and I see others using
this variable without apparent problem.

I've tested this with 3.21 and 3.22 (both Red Hat supplied versions).
SHELL is set to bash.

TIA.

--
Hal Burgiss