Re: How does it work?

2003-06-15 16:03:12
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:54:00 +0200
From: Andre Klocke <hela(_at_)helawann(_dot_)de>

Hi.

Greetings.

I installed a self-compiled and statical linked version of procmail on
my eisfair firewall. I replaced /usr/bin/mail by procmail, but i do not
receive any mail in an file. Here is my .procmailrc file:

You really should look at your OS's documentation for what /usr/bin/mail
really is. In some cases, it's an MDA (Mail Delivery Agent), but, in many
cases, it is actually an MUA (Mail User Agent). I'm willing to bet you
replaced your MUA (/usr/bin/mail) with an MDA (/usr/bin/procmail), and
now nothing happens when you receive mail. If your system has sendmail,
(I'm a qmail user, so I installed procmail as an MDA),
/usr/libexec/mail.local or /usr/bin/mail.local is probably what you
should have replaced.

eis 1.0 # cat /home/host/.procmailrc
PATH=$HOME:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

:0
* > mailtest$$
eis 1.0 #

It shall copy every incoming mail into a file mailtest<PID>, but it does
not work.
Can anybody tell me why?

Andre

I can't talk too much about your recipe because I'm not too good at them
(yet ;-), but I have a nagging suspicion that the mail.local problem is
to blame altogether.

    Chris