Re: newbie: procmail question /var/mail

2003-06-21 14:33:36
Noah asked,

> I guess this can be asked somewhere else like a procmail list but
> well this list has a lot of good information in the past. Should I go
> to the procmail lists for support or can somebody help me here?

This *is* the procmail list.  You've already come here.

okay but I have a few users with $DEFAULT defined to /var/mail/<user> so I am
trying to figure out a way to gracefully handle this without creating the need
for a flag day and have the need to have every user redefine their $DEFAULT .

You need to recompile procmail so that ORGMAIL is $HOME/Mailbox. For those who don't define DEFAULT, DEFAULT will follow. For those who *do* define DEFAULT and set it to /var/mail/$LOGNAME, well, take the system off-line for a minute in the dead of night some time, move all the /var/mail/$LOGNAMEs to the corresponding $HOME/Mailbox spots (or if $HOME/Mailbox exists too, cat /var/mail/$LOGNAME >> $HOME/Mailbox && \ rm /var/mail/$LOGNAME), and chmod /var/mail to 555. Then they can't save mail to /var/mail/$LOGNAME any more, and mail that they try to save there will land in $ORGMAIL, which, because you recompiled procmail that way, is $HOME/Mailbox.

I thought I could just have a soft symlink from /var/mail/<user> to
$HOME/Mailbox .  but every new message delivery replaces /var/mail/<user> and
then generates a /var/mail/BOGUS.<user>.ca

That's because of the safety check on $ORGMAIL that procmail does when it is invoked. $ORGMAIL must not be a symlink nor a file with more than one hard link. $DEFAULT isn't subject to that restriction.