Re: No email and no errors

2003-06-25 11:34:11
At 10:55 2003-06-25 -0500, Beto Carminhato wrote:

I am having a problem; I am trying to setup an autoresponder using procmail. But it just doesn t work! But the big trouble is that I have no error messages at all so I am lost!! I already tried all syntaxes I found on internet on my .procmailrc and nothing happens.

FIRST:
please turn off your HTML email feature. This is a discussion list, and by generally accepted convention, plain text email is preferred - it renders quite nicely on all terminal types.

SECOND:
follow the URL in my .sigline and retrieve the sandbox setup which is described there. Run your autoresponder within that sandbox, which will enable you to test your autoresponder without annoying anyone, and will keep you from producing a mail loop which will put you on really shaky ground with your sysadm.

THIRD:
        review the specific comments interspersed with your script below.

VERBOSE=on

        You should define a LOGFILE before defining VERBOSE.

LOGFILE=/home/beto1/procmail.log

$HOME works for the first part of that path, which makes your rcfile more portable.

SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

You should not need to redefine this unless procmail is not defining it properly by itself. In a test rcfile

MAILDIR=/var/mail

Uhm, this generally isn't what MAILDIR is supposed to be - if you're running as joe user, you can't arbitrarily create files over there.

SHELL=/bin/bash

Again, unless procmail isn't defining it properly, there should be no need to tweak this. The only places I have to define SHELL are in /etc/procmailrc (global procmailrc) and in procmailrc files invoked directly via aliases.

escape dots which you wish to be interpreted as dots:
        barclaygrp\.com

[snip]

* ! ^Precedence:[       ](jumk|bulk)

It would also be a good idea to

Not quite a month ago, I posted two separate vacation recipes in discussions:

        Re: newbie question about autoreply (vacation) subject line
        Re: Autoresponder rules

Perhaps you'd benefit from some quality time rooting around in the recent archives?

| (formail -r -I "From: beto1(_at_)barclaygrp(_dot_)com" \

        -I"Subject: I am away" \

        -A "X-Loop: beto1(_at_)barclaygrp(_dot_)com"; \

  cat /home/beto1/message.txt) | $SENDMAIL -oi t

FTR, that sendmail invocation looks hokey - t is no doubt being interpreted as the recipient, because it's certainly NOT being specified as a FLAG.

[snip]

Note that besides your message appearing to be doublespaced (perhaps an issue with your HTML mailer), you tacked on two distinct copies of your .sig.