Procmail error when writing to a pipe

2003-07-01 16:41:01
Hello,

        I am getting an occasional error from procmail when sending to
a pipe:

procmail: Error while writing to " ( formail -r -I "From:
<MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>" ; echo "Your message to
${LOGNAME}(_at_)domain(_dot_)com was rejected due to the user exceeding its
mailbox quota" ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oi"

We are using procmail to check for mailboxes that are already bigger
than a certain size.  Procmail checks the size and if mailbox is too
big, sends a reject message to sender.  90% of the time, it works
fine, but occasionally I get this message.  Oddly enough, when this
happens the mail gets delivered anyway AND the sender gets this
reject message.

This runs on machines that are quite busy ISP mail servers.

The compare decision is made with this recipe:

QUOTA=15000000
INBOXSIZE=`ls -l ${ORGMAIL} 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $5}'`

:0
* $ ${INBOXSIZE}^0
* $ -${QUOTA}^0
| ( /usr/local/bin/formail -r "echo as above" ) | /usr/lib/sendmail -t -oi

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Parker

--