help with lockfile and procmailrc

2003-07-09 13:33:54
I am doing a mail server migration and going over the old, current configuration. Much about procmail is arcane to me, and I throw myself on the mercy of the collective wisdom of the list. I need a bit of information about lockfile and its invocation in the standard .procmailrc file we put in every user's home directory...It's a legacy from a long-departed sys admin
My questions follow at the bottom of the page.

This default .procmailrc (which was probably originally written for V3.06 and may have been updated for V3.11pre7 and now needs to works in what I assume is the latest/greatest V3.22) looks like this:

# .procmailrc

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

####### BEGIN  SYS ADMIN ADDED LINES #######
## !!!!!! Do not remove these lines !!!!!!
## They have been placed here by System Admin ## If removed, your mail will run slower and
## generate error messages!!!!!!!!

LOCKFILE        #removes preexisting lockfile
LOG='lockfile $DEFAULT$LOCKEXT '
TRAP="rm -f $DEFAULT$LOCKEXT"
       :0
       $DEFAULT
####### END OF SYS ADMIN ADDED LINES #######
# IF YOU ADD STUFF, DO IT ABOVE THIS BLOCK #
####### PLACE NOTHING BELOW THIS LINE ######

*The Questions:*
...but first....
<grovel>
I am under deadline, and, as much as I would like to become intimately conversant with Procmail syntax in 666 easy lessons, I am just buried in quick-studying sslandsendmailandimapandsmrshandprocmail/lockfile, so I solicit your patience and assistance
<levorg>

1) Would some kind soul explain what the lock stuff is doing
2) Is it syntactically correct? Have interim upgrades of procmail invalidated any of it or made it so it would work better with different commands? 3) Is what it's doing real/worthwhile? The long-departed sysadmin was at times a bit too clever and not a particular believer in K.I.S.S. FWIW, he was a csh fanatic, and so, as legacy, all ordinary users are in a csh environment. I do not love csh, though some people I *thought* were pretty sharp seemed to think it was better than sliced bread. 4) How does procmail (I'm assuming it's only procmail that uses lockfile) know where to find the lockfile executable? Or is it just assumed to be in /usr/local/bin? 5) I see these apparent environmental variables $DEFAULT and $LOCKEXT, but they don't seem to be set that I can see by invoking 'set' to see the environmental variables
6) Where are LOCKFILE and TRAP defined/explained

Your hoots, catcalls and brickbats will all be graciously accepted. I bow before the assembled wisdom.

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources Center of Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York 12504 sdean(_at_)bard(_dot_)edu voice: 845-758-7475, fax: 845-758-7035