Re: spamrule - re without references

2003-07-14 18:50:26
At 17:54 2003-07-14 -0700, Tyler Creelan wrote:
>       SPAMMISHNESS="${SPAMMISHNESS}${SPAMVAL}"

Sorry this is redundant, but why are the {} braces are
recommended around the variables? I know it relates to
whitespace inside the variable, but what exactly breaks
if you leave them off?

I prefer to use them where possible to fully encapsulate variable names, particularly where variable names might overlap ($SPAM -> $SPAMVAL). It is performed here for clarity and to ensure that the specified variables are used.

Also does this reason apply in the bourne shell?

The variable assignment above is not occurring in the shell - it is taking place directly within Procmail.