Re: Question about filtering by attachment.

2003-08-02 06:19:53
Well, one reason is I tend to be sent a lot of attachments without my
knowing.  They're sent to me as zip's and just show up in my box with no
advance warning.  I want to autosend a message that says "Hey, I did
recieve your file, but I can't accept zip anymore because of blah and
blah, please resend as rar or this format instead.  Thanks.

Don't want to p*ss off my clients by having stuff get junked by procmail
unintentionally.  Although, now that I think about it more, this would
probubly do much the same thing.  Oh well.  I guess I'll have to special
filter zip files into a separate folder and examine them before either
permitting them through or canning them.  Drat.  Well, at least this got
me to thinking.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Dragoncrest wrote:

D>    How do you get procmail to auto-send a reply about a particular
blocked
D> email based on the attachment?  So if the file received has for
example a
D> zip extension, I want it to send a reply email saying something like
D> "Sorry, but this type of file is no longer permitted due to the
spamming of
D> viruses as of late.  Please try using RAR instead which is available at
D> winrar.com" and have it be sent out automatically.  But if it fails,
D> instead of me being flooded with mailer daemon notices, I want those
D> particular ones to go into my viruses folder.
D>
D>    Is this possible, or a little too complicated for procmail?

Why does asking the sender to resend in a different file format help?  You
could change them to rar files yourself?  Unless you are using it as an
authentication method.  In which case, it is not neccessary to ask the
sender to change file format - all you need to do is ask the sender if he
sent you a zip file.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
  password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )