Re: Documentation omission?

2003-08-04 14:16:23
2003-08-04T16:35:56 David W. Tamkin:
Bennett Todd asked:
The docs say you can use
"!" to invert the sense of a test, and you can use "?" to use the
exitcode from a program, but I didn't see any mention of whether you
can use both together, or if so what order they should be used in.

Yes, you can.  The exclamation point has to come first, because
everything after the question mark is run as a command (or given to
$SHELL if there's a character from $SHELLMETAS present).

Understood, and illustrated in the example recipe I posted.

The reason I entitled the article "Documentation omission?" was
because either I'm a weak reader and couldn't find it, or else the
documentation doesn't explain this. Perhaps it should? If so, what's
the right way to submit a request for enhancement to the
documentation?

-Bennett