or'd condition versus checking against a list

2003-08-16 06:16:00
I check my mail for requested email from "commercial catalogs" with
an or'd condition, like so:

* ^From:.*(l.l.bean|jasc|west marine)

I am now beginning to get quite a long list of requested commercial
catalogs, and am wondering if it is more efficient to continue to use
this condition expanded to include all the possibilities (my example
is shortened for brevity), or to shift to checking an external list,
similar to checking my whitelist for mail from people I know and
trust.

My hunch is that the or'd condition is more efficient but I'm not
sure, thus I ask.

TIA

Doug