Re: or'd condition versus checking against a list

2003-08-16 11:03:19
At 08:52 2003-08-16 -0400, Doug Essinger-Hileman wrote:

I am now beginning to get quite a long list of requested commercial
catalogs, and am wondering if it is more efficient to continue to use
this condition expanded to include all the possibilities (my example
is shortened for brevity), or to shift to checking an external list,
similar to checking my whitelist for mail from people I know and
trust.

A long list internal to tbe procmail script will be more efficient than having procmail invoke a program (and possibly a shell as well) which must open and read another file to check a list.

OTOH, it is a hell of a lot more convenient to manage an external file.

You could always take the recipes and put them in separate files to include into a sandbox (see my .sig), and then throw a LARGE sample mailbox at them, wrapped in time:

        time formail -s procmail -m sandbox.rc < bigmailbox

you might want to run it a few times so that the mailbox is sufficiently cached and then you'll be able to ignore timing differences between the first run (which has to actually read the mailbox from disk) and subsequent runs (which may be making use of cache).