FW: How procmail behaves on program failure (Was: Re: (no subject))

2003-08-21 20:57:47

Joe Ruddy wrote:

procmail: Program failure (100) of "/home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail"
[..]
   Folder **Requeued**
                      1391
[..]
Any ideas?

Are you asking why the program is failing, or why procmail is
requeuing the message?

If the program returns anything but 0, then procmail will assume it
failed, and continue to the next recipe. Your program returns 100, hence
your recipe fails.

In this case there are no valid delivering recipes, and no DEFAULT
since -m was used, so procmail itself will fail, either bouncing the
message, or as in this case where it has been called with -t, requeuing
the message.

As to why "vdelivermail" fails, or what exit code 100 means, that is
your problem and doesn't relate to procmail.

M.

I guess I was asking both.  I had been trying to get just a basic recipe to
work.  One with no rules,  I was not sure if it was procmail not passing all
the proper data to vdelivermail or if vdeliver mail was failing.  All the
posts I read said this is how I should have set it up.  I just wouldn't work
for me.

I had abandoned using procmail and started looking at maildrop.  After doing
some research I found a post on the maildrop list about a patch for
vdelivermail.  I applied the patch recompiled vpopmail and now procmail
works.

If anyone else is having the same problem I suggest using this patch

www.thesafebox.com/seekable-5.2.diff

Thanks for your help.