Re: dots in local parts

2003-08-26 02:19:37

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 1:45 , Noarmun E. Mailer wrote:

The local part of an Internet style email address is undefined by SMTP.

not correct:

3.4.1. Addr-spec specification

   An addr-spec is a specific Internet identifier that contains a
   locally interpreted string followed by the at-sign character ("@",
   ASCII value 64) followed by an Internet domain.  The locally
   interpreted string is either a quoted-string or a dot-atom.  If the
   string can be represented as a dot-atom (that is, it contains no
   characters other than atext characters or "." surrounded by atext

   characters), then the dot-atom form SHOULD be used and the
   quoted-string form SHOULD NOT be used. Comments and folding white
   space SHOULD NOT be used around the "@" in the addr-spec.

addr-spec       =       local-part "@" domain

local-part      =       dot-atom / quoted-string / obs-local-part

domain          =       dot-atom / domain-literal / obs-domain

domain-literal  =       [CFWS] "[" *([FWS] dcontent) [FWS] "]" [CFWS]

dcontent        =       dtext / quoted-pair

dtext           =       NO-WS-CTL /     ; Non white space controls

                        %d33-90 /       ; The rest of the US-ASCII
                        %d94-126        ;  characters not including "[",

The local part is quite clearly defined.  As is the domain part.

--
I want a refund, I want a light, I want a reason for all this night after night after night after night