Re: correct syntax of subject variable?

2003-08-28 03:17:03
Some time around 8/28/2003 11:05:19, I think I heard Dragoncrest say:
        Just curious of something.  When trying to filter by subject, which
of
these is the correct syntax.

        This?:  * ^Subject:.*virus
        Or This?: * Subject:.*virus

        I'm trying to figure out if the carrot is even needed or if it is,
where,
when and why?  Cause it seems to work with the carrot, but I'm also seeing
other parts of my recipe where the carrot isn't in front of Subject yet it
still works too.  So I'm a tad confused.

Hello,
        The caret will anchor at the beginning of the line, which
means that it will look for a line starting with "Subject".  Without
the caret, it will still match, but might not be too reliable as it
will also match when the word "Subject" is not at the beginning of the
line.  When writing rules for headers it is common to start them with
a caret, since each header by definition should appear at the
beginning of the line.

        -dZ.

--
:[ DZ vs. THE WORLD]==- -- -  -

Hating anything, everything and everyone since 1996.