Re: Intermittent behaviour by procmail

2003-09-02 19:19:56
Gonzalo asked for an explanation:

> Just to understand what it actually means, I read' the procmailex and
> procmailrc manpages so what I conclude is:

> * LASTFOLDER ??  means we are going to work on the LASTFOLDER
> variable

Right.

> /\/ is right-splitting.

Er, no.

/ is a literal slash.
\/ is procmail's extraction mark; everything matching the rest of the pattern to the right of \/ becomes the new value of the MATCH variable.

> However, seeing as how we are working with the entire variable, isn't
> it redundant?

No, because (if you don't get distracted by the extraction mark)
/[^/]+^^ means everything from the last slash on to the end (provided that there is a slash, and that the last character isn't a slash -- but since you're saving to a maildir, there always will be a slash in $LASTFOLDER and there will always be non-slash characters after the last slash).

> [^/] means we don't want to match any "/"'s
> + means we want to match one or more non "/" characters

Right.

> ^^ I don't quite understand.  It means we want to "anchor" the
> expression at the end of the search area?

Close enough.