Re: Using ^TO or ^TO_ in recipies

2003-09-09 10:52:52
Dan Liston (from sonny.org? what a punch in the face) asked,

Well, first there's the question in the subject line, which didn't reappear in the text.

The basic difference between ^TO and ^TO_ is that ^TO_ will not match a string that ends in a hyphen, while ^TO will. Stephen was going to change ^TO so as not to match a string ending in a hyphen, but (perhaps other people as well and) I pointed out that the use of ^TOname to catch such things as "To: owner-name" or "To: real-name," and he didn't want to break that, plus he regretted not having named it ^TO_ in the first place, so he left ^TO as it was and added ^TO_, which was the token he had wanted to use originally anyway, to have the expansion he had really wanted originally.

1.  Is the global /etc/procmailrc *always* used since it exists?

It is used when procmail is invoked with no rcfiles named on its command line. Note that the -m option requires naming exactly one rcfile, so procmail -m never reads /etc/procmailrc unless that's the named rcfile or the named rcfile calls /etc/procmailrc with INCLUDERC or SWITCHRC.

2.  Are the recipes in the global file given a precedence over a
    personal rc file?  Or should I "INCLUDERC" the /etc/procmailrc
    from my personal ~/.procmailrc file?

If procmail reaches the end of /etc/procmailrc without completing delivery, it drops privileges and moves to ~/.procmailrc. Do *not* call ~/.procmailrc as an INCLUDERC within /etc/procmailrc, or it may be run twice, and especially don't do that if you haven't dropped privileges yet, because then ~/.procmailrc will be processed as root.

3.  When is the right time in the /etc/procmailrc to DROPPRIVS?
    I assume this means procmail is running as root or mail until
    a DROPPRIVS=yes is encountered, at which time, procmail will
    run as the user a message is to be delivered to.

That depends on the code in /etc/procmailrc. If none of it requires root rights, drop at the beginning. In any case, procmail will drop them automatically if it gets to the end of /etc/procmailrc without completing delivery and moves to ~/.procmailrc.

4.  When it is better to use the /etc/procmailrcs/some-recipe.rc
    file location?

There I can't help you, so let's wait for someone else to step forward.

DWT