procmail in sendmail as local mailer

2003-09-23 11:05:36
We already have sendmail as the local mailer ie
FEATURE(`local_procmail')   in the .mc file.   It creates the following
lines in sendmail.cf

Mlocal,         P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=EnvFromL/Hdr
FromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y /etc/procmailrc -a $h -d $u  /etc/procmailrc

Actually, I added the "/etc/procmailrc" to have it run procmail with a
system-wide procmailrc file against all incoming messages.
The contents  of that file for now are:

:0f:
| formail -I "X-test: This message has be pre-Processed"

How bad an idea is this  if we simply want sendmail to run something
else defined in a systemwide procmailrc (users don't have accounts on this
host; rather, mail is routed via tables to them) My specific concern is
whether this would add considerably to CPU and I/O load

TIA

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies