Re: Identifying spam by those numbers at the end of subject line

2003-09-24 13:29:12

Subject header un-fscked.

At 18:33 2003-09-24 +0000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
[snip]
Prior to reading this I had sent a valid email what had 4 consecutive
digits at the end of the Subject: so your pattern would have created a
false-positive. So happens that my subject line had alphabetics in there
too (it was a university course code) that might be useable as a
discriminator for identifying real as opposed to mis-identified spam.

Well, that's what the person asked for - 4 digits (excepting that they did mention spaces before, which I omitted).

If you'd reviewed the code snippet from my own spam.rc, you'd see that I merely add a "spammishness" value to the message -- after all checks have been conducted, the total spammishness would be evaluated and the message handled accordingly. Thus, how _I_ actually filter my mail wouldn't actually experience a false positive - unless your message had a number of other characteristics as well.

The original poster did say "spaces followed by four digits" something
that your pattern does not cope with.

.. and which has already been pointed out in another post, and which was acknowledged by myself some 17 hours before your message, but thanks for pointing the omission out.