Re: Sending warning of virus via procmail

2003-10-01 21:33:06
At 11:42 PM -0400 10/1/03, David W. MacDougall is rumored to have typed:

  Let me echo what has already been said. As one who spends a lot of time
trying to keep annoying e-mail out of my users' inboxes, I decided last
year to turn off virus notifications that our NAVIEG server was sending.

   Has anyone else noticed that Rob is sending auto-generated mail to the
RECIPIENT of the redirected message, not the forged sender? This allows the
recipient to check the messages in the users $MAILDIR/VIRUS file to make sure
there are no false positives.

   Granted, I wouldn't do it (but then, I only run VERY specific system-wide
catchers and only during times of high viral load), but he is NOT bouncing
the messages to the Return-Path: sender (which is the thing that drives us
all crazy). He's simply letting the RECIPIENT know that there was mail
diverted away from his mailbox.

         Charlie