Re: Sending warning of virus via procmail

2003-10-02 02:24:06
Rob followed up,

You were -almost- spot on, thank you...or maybe you were and I
mis-interperted your suggestion.

Yes, you did misinterpret it. You figured out the right place for the `i', and that's where the `c' should go as well. By putting `c' on the recipe that opens the brace, you're telling procmail to fork a clone, which will handle the code inside the braces (and move on past the right brace if it doesn't complete delivery), while the parent procmail will move to the right brace -- immediately unless there's a `w' with that `c' -- unaffected by anything the clone does.

I ended up ... putting the 'i' on the :0 | action that actually opened the
shell/sendmail pipe and creating the error.

That's where it goes.

If I put 'i' on both or even
just the old 'w' line I recieved a "Extraneous ignore-write-error flag
ignored", ...

Of course; `i' makes no sense if the action is to open a nesting block.

:0w

Changed above to :0c, :0ci here created the "Extraneous...." message.  I
wonder if I could change this to :0hc since I'm only working with the
headers anyways.

You should change it to just :0; `h' will get you a an "extraneous deliver-head flag ignored" error. You can't send only the head or only the body into a nesting block, you can't be concerned that entering a nesting block will cause a write error, and you can't filter through the entrance of a nesting block. Nor can you have a local lockfile for entering a nesting block unless you're also cloning. So there are quite a few flags that will get you "Extraneous [whatever] flag ignored" if you try to use them when the action is a left brace.

  :0

Changed above to :0i, Since this is the action that causes the error, this
seems like the right place anyways.

It is.  That's where I was saying to put the `i'.

> Maybe this is where I should have put 'ci',

It is.

but I'm not sure if it matters if I clone the entire set of actions or
just here.

It does, since your final disposition (stashing in the folder $VIRUS_FOLDER) is inside the nesting block, not after it.