Re: generic .forward

2003-10-06 11:11:21
At 12:04 2003-10-06 -0500, Dana Holland wrote:
Is there any way to create a generic .forward file, that will accept message addressed to anyone(_at_)domain(_dot_)a and pipe them through the vacation.pl program so that the sender can be notified that the email addresses have changed to anyone(_at_)domain(_dot_)b?

You do realize that you sent your inquiry to the PROCMAIL list? I don't see _any_ procmail questions here.

I know how to create an entry in sendmail's virtusertable file to take care of that side of the process, but I can't figure out what to do with the .forward file.

Is there really a need to fart around with the .forward? If the mail is bounced at the SMTP stage, your job is done, and it is done in a more standards-compliant fashion (error codes, actual BOUNCE, etc).

You also benefit from not having to accept the message being sent, since the virtusertable (or access db, if you went that route) will be referred to during the SMTP RCPT stage, before headers and body have been sent. It's the ideal solution.