Proper use of W flag

2003-10-16 09:24:52
I have several users accessing $HOME/whitelist via procmail INCLUDERC
receipts. Each user has their own unique LOCKFILE variable set at the
beginning of their INCLUDE recipes.

I originally thought adding a W flag would help avoid conflicts if two
users accessed the whitelist at the same time, but now I'm not sure using
"W" is correct.

The man pages say without the W flag procmail "spawns off the program" in
the "action line". If I understand this correctly, my egrep line is not an
action line so the W flag has no effect on egreping the whitelist??

Should I be using it, ditch it, or is there another way to avoid conflicts
when two or more users access the same file? I dont have error messages in
my logs saying their is a problem, I just feel accessing the same file
could/should be a problem.

This is how I'm using it:

# Deliver Whitelist addresses

:0 W
* ?formail -x"From:" -x"Sender:" \
  -x"Reply-To:" -x"Return-Path:" \
| egrep -is -f $HOME/whitelist
{
        :0 hif
        | formail -A"X-Puremail: Global Whitelist"

    :0 :
    $DELIVER

Best Regards,

Tim Rice