Re: process leak?

2003-10-16 09:27:07
On 16 Oct, Andrew Edelstein wrote:
| Vicki Brown wrote:
|
| [...]
|
| >> An experienced admin might choose to add a verbose log setting to
| >> the
| >
| > It gets too big. DOn't cast aspersions on my experience when you
| > don't know me.
|
| "${daemon} keeps dieing. I could look at the log to figure
| out why, but the log file gets too big, so we turn logging off. Can you
| help me figure out why ${daemon} keeps dieing?"
|
| "The log gets too big, so we won't bother with it" is a sure sign of an
| INexperienced admin to me. So the log grows large. So what? You turn on
| verbose logging, keep an eye on the log when the problem manifests
| itself, gain clue as to cause of the problem, fix the problem, turn
| off verbose logging.

Or an admin, experienced or not, not willing to subject a problem like
this to the vagaries of when, or even if, someone else will have the
time and inclination to divine a solution for them out of the goodness
of their heart, might think for a moment and come up with:

# at top of /etc/procmailrc
:0
* LOGNAME ?? ^^insert.problem.user.logname^^
{
  LOGFILE = /some/location/for/separate/log
  VERBOSE = yes
}

or, if no /etc/procmailrc, at top of user's ~/.procmailrc

--
Email address in From: header is valid  * but only for a couple of days *
This is my reluctant response to spammers' unrelenting address harvesting