Re: process leak?

2003-10-11 13:33:12
At 13:04 2003-10-11 -0700, Vicki Brown wrote:
We're running procmail 3.22 under FreeBSD 4.27.

We appear to have a process leak. It has slowly crept up to 460 processes
over the last 24 hours.

Suggestions VERY welcome.

Uhm, the processes are owned by whom (that might give you a clue)? Are all these 460 processes procmail alone?

Do you use procmail as the LDA?  What is your MTA?

Is there an /etc/procmailrc (or /usr/local/etc/procmailrc) ?

How many users have ~.procmailrc or a .forward which perhaps invoked procmail?

What do your system maillogs have to say about messages?

Is mail not being delivered normally - globally, or just to certain users?

What's in your mailqueue?

I could go on and on, but I think _some_ sleuthing on your part would be appropriate.