Re: process leak?

2003-10-13 13:14:17
At 13:28 -0700 2003-10-11, PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software
Engineering wrote:
At 13:04 2003-10-11 -0700, Vicki Brown wrote:
We're running procmail 3.22 under FreeBSD 4.27.

We appear to have a process leak. It has slowly crept up to 460 processes
over the last 24 hours.

Suggestions VERY welcome.

Uhm, the processes are owned by whom (that might give you a clue)?

One user, out of over a dozen who use procmail to handle their mail.

Are all these 460 processes procmail alone?

They are all
    /usr/local/bin/procmail -f-
as called from .forward

Do you use procmail as the LDA?  What is your MTA?

sendmail is the MTA. Procmail is called from .forward only for users who wish
it. Procmail has not (yet) been installed system wide. We'd like to do this;
we never find the time...

Is there an /etc/procmailrc (or /usr/local/etc/procmailrc) ?

No.

How many users have ~.procmailrc or a .forward which perhaps invoked
procmail?

17; but only one has several hundred procmail processes running
There is no indication that the procmailrc contains a loop or anything
peculiar

What do your system maillogs have to say about messages?

weird stuff as it turns out, e.g.

cfcl sm-mta[62618]: h9D6x4Jc062617: timeout waiting for input from local
during Draining Input
cfcl sm-mta[144]: rejecting connections on daemon MTA: load average:54

but whether these are caused by the procmail processes, correlated to the
procmail processes, or unrelated to the processes, I don't know. Do you?

Is mail not being delivered normally - globally, or just to certain users?

Mail appears to be being delivered normally. But... how would we know? :-)

What's in your mailqueue?

There are 2464 files in /var/spool/mqueue... suggestions???

I could go on and on, but I think _some_ sleuthing on your part would be
appropriate.

How do you know we didn't?

We're trying to figure out where to sleuth and how to interpret the data.

At this precise moment, there are 68 procmail processes running; use "A" owns
64 of them; "B" and "C" own two each.
Another check, a moment later, shows user "A" with 66 procmail processes;
users "D" and "E" with 2 each.
User "A" (and only user "A") seems to be creeping up in procmail process
count over time.
--
- Vicki

Vicki Brown      ZZZ                Journeyman Sourceror:
P.O. Box 1269       zz  |\     _,,,---,,_      Scripts & Philtres
San Bruno, CA 94066  zz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     Perl, Unix, MacOS
http://www.cfcl.com    |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' http://www.cfcl.com/vlb