Re: procmail seems to not work consistently

2003-10-24 00:42:29
At 00:05 2003-10-24 -0400, Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS wrote:
I'm slowly coming to the conclussion that procmail is just disfunctional

It is much more likely that you're doing something disfunctional. In fact, reviewing the fragment you provided (since you didn't provide "like 100 lines", I assume you excerpted) certainly supports this theory. No, I'm not personally interested in reviewing your entire procmailrc, but who knows what other flawed recipes procmail is expected to interpret as you think rather than according to its well-defined rules.

Computers tend to be pretty literal - give them flawed directions, and they'll follow them to the letter. Perhaps you should lay off the vicodin?

I have like a 100 vicoden lines in my root procmail and user level
procmails and I STILL won;t get rid of about 30% of the subject lines
with Vicoden in them

/etc/procmail has

Let's do a breakdown, shall we?

:0 iw

i and w are TOTALLY IMAPPROPRIATE for a delivery to /dev/null. You should check the manpage for the meaning of flags before just lobbing them in there.

* ^ Subject.*Vicodin

Ask yourself, does the Subject header have a space between it and the beginning of the line? I don't think so. Also, a colon at the tail end of the subject header is good practice. In short, THIS rule isn't doing bupkiss for you, because it will never match any valid headers.

* ^Subject:.*Vicodin

/dev/null

Dumping stuff to /dev/null when you obviously aren't fluent at procmail is bad form. Drop the messages in a mailbox which you can review as necessary.

./.procmailrc

You mean ~/.procmailrc perhaps? Are the permissions set properly? Have you tried setting a LOGFILE and VERBOSE=ON and reviewing it?

:0:

No need to set a lockfile when delivering to /dev/null

* ^.*vicodin

If you're looking for vicodin ANYWHERE in the headers, you aught to eliminate the beginning of line anchor and the wildcard:

* vicodin

/dev/null

:0:

again, no need to set a lockfile when delivering to /dev/null

* ^.*Vicodin

again, if you're looking to match vicodin anywhere in the headers, lose the anchor and wildcard. FURTHER, as per 'man procmailrc', procmail is by default *NOT*CASE*SENSITIVE*, so this recipe won't match anything the previous one wouldn't.

/dev/null

[snip]

Looks more like a billboard than a signature. How about putting all them URLs on a page and providing a SINGLE weblink to that from your sig?