Re: formail v3.22 with procmail v3.10?

2003-10-29 13:55:11
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:59:30AM -0800, Sean B. Straw wrote:
Q: what happens when you pipe a message to formail right on the
commandline with that invocation?

Normal, successful operation.  But my shell account in on a different
machine from the problem environment, so my little commandline test
doesn't really tell us much.  I don't have access to the mail servers
that run SmartList, where the failures are occurring; I'm just a lowly
list maintainer, with access to my rc.local files, and the list log.

Well, they don't say much, as they stop at that point. :)

Surely procmail indicates delivery or program failure or something.
You ARE running with VERBOSE logging, right?

Yep, I'm running verbose logging, and nope, there's nothing at all after
that procmail: Executing "formail,-I,X-Debug" line.  Nothing.  That's
not an excerpt, it's really the actual end of the trace.

Is the formail/procmail actually COMPILED for the machine in question?

Seems to be, according to the log of `file \`which formail\``.
That was my first suspicion, that the intel machine was trying to
run the sparc binary, but not only does the log say it's an intel binary,
but I doubt the wrong binary would run formail -A correctly. :)

debug (s20-post-happy) (mx1): Wed Oct 29 08:00:06 PST 2003
about to filter header x-debug line
procmail: [25930] Wed Oct 29 08:00:06 2003
procmail: Executing "formail,-I,X-Debug"
-------------end of log file---------------------------------

That's it; there's nothing in the log after the formail -I statement.
That's the first formail -I statement in the rc file.

I'd check the system logs and verify that the procmail isn't coredumping.

I'll suggest that to the folks that have that sort of access.

If you have a shell account elsewhere, you should try running your
recipe - you'll see that it runs properly.

Indeed it does.  In fact, it ran fine until last Thursday, when, without
changes in the script, formail -I <fieldname> (but not formail -A)
stopped working.

My problem is that I ONLY have access elsewhere, so I'm limited to
using only what I can log into SmartList's logfile.  The support guy,
of course, has complete access, and he says procmail/formail work
fine for him, and for other system lists run by SmartList.  But
clearly something's different in our respective environments, so I
need to probe what I can from my limited perspective.

Again, I'm grateful for suggestions, and thanks very much for the response.

Jim