Re: Procmail on Redhat 7.3

2003-11-05 12:55:13
At 09:18 2003-11-05 -0800, Dustin P. Reiner wrote:
It appears as though procmail is not getting invoked
my sendmail on my Redhat 7.3 server.  It is a stock
install, with the sendmail, fetchmail and procmail
provided by Redhat.

This is not particularly meaninful to those who choose to avoid RedHat. The defaults from one distribution of *nix to the next vary considerably. It is much better to confirm that procmail is actually configured as the LDA in your configuration, and then go from there.

I disabled smrsh in the /etc/mail/sendmail.rc file

Perhaps you mean /etc/mail/sendmail.mc ?

and regenerated the /etc/sendmail.cf.

Huh, that REALLY should be /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, though your distro is probably symlinking the file there as a crutch for some archaic tools - all of the sendmail-specific configuration files and databases should be in /etc/mail/, which has been the standard directory for the mailer for going on six years or so.

SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
PROGRAM_DIR=/home/*username*/*programpath*

Why wouldn't that be $HOME/*programpath* ?  Why not just add this to the PATH?

Why aren't you logging from your ~/.procmailrc ? This is critical whenever you are experiencing a problem:

        LOGFILE=logfilename
        VERBOSE=ON

Have you checked your system logs to see if there is anything logged there?

Have you tried running procdiag (follow the URL in my .sig) to check your basic configuration for common faults? That includes file permissions which you might not be interpreting properly.

:0
* ^From(_dot_)*user(_at_)emailaddress
{
        :0 c
        |/path/to/progran

What's the purpose of defining a PROGRAM_DIR (not a procmail standard variable), and then not using it?

       :0
        /home/*username*/Mail/archive

You already define MAILDIR, so why not let procmail do its thing:

        :0:
        archive

(note also the inclusion of a LOCKFILE flag on the flags line)

You're much better off using $HOME and $LOGNAME where appropriate rather than hardcoding name references into your rcfiles - when you set things up on another host someplace, there are minimal changes necessary to get your scripts working there. Sure, right now, you've got one tiny rcfile - but wait until you've got a large number of rcs, that all need to be tweaked when you move them.

}

fetchmail downloads the messages and dumps them into
/var/spool/mail/*username*, and procmail is never
invoked.

Is fetchmail running as the local user, or as a root-invoked script?

What is fetchmail using to deliver (the "mda" configuration line)?

Are you LOGGING from fetchmail?  Have you checked those logs?

Have you checked the FETCHMAIL manpages? Recall that FETCHMAIL is not at all part of procmail.

If the program you're using isn't invoking procmail, then your problem isn't a procmail problem - it's a configuration problem with your other tool, and you should investigate the proper configuration of that tool in it's forums.