Re: removing verbiage from a Subject

2003-11-12 21:09:12
At 17:57 2003-11-12 -0800, Steffan Vigano wrote:
domains, we can't reject any mail... so we add the phrase [SPAM] to suspect email before delivery allowing client side filtering if desired. The problem is that most users are too lazy to remove that phrase before forwarding the email onto a co-worker or business partner or, worse yet, replying to the customer.

Why not add SOME OTHER HEADER rather than futzing with the subject?. You've got to have a crappy MUA if you can't deal with filtering based on other headers.

I don't know how widespread it is, but you might check into Accessio at <http://www.miavia.com/> It's kind of like SA, but is based on how much the message mimics known spam.

 original subject = "hey now"
 marked subject = "[SPAM] hey now"
 forward subject = "fwd: [SPAM] hey now"   (many variations of 'fwd')
 delivered  subject if sender is *(_at_)boothcreek(_dot_)com = "fwd: hey now"

Hmm, pipe it to sed?

:0fh
* ^Subject:.*\[SPAM\]

Or, you could extract the subject, sed just that, and use formail to replace it.

But, I'd still shoot for NOT changing the subject. It's ugly, messy, and, frankly, when some nimrod replies to a potential customer and THEIR message carries this nifty SPAM tag, that's simply going to be a turnoff.