Re: Procmail for aliases vs. real users

2003-11-18 16:59:45
At 14:37 2003-11-18 -0800, domo(_at_)tickleme(_dot_)llnl(_dot_)gov wrote:
Say you've got a Unix system of some kind using the latest sendmail.
You're able to executed procmail via your .forward file, and you don't
want to incorporate procmail filtering inside of sendmail.cf.

Methinks you mean procmail isn't configured as the LDA. That's VERY different than hacking the sendmail config to run procmail from sendmail rulesets.

I have not been able to figure out a way to set up an alias, which is
not a user in /etc/passwd, such that mail to the alias will be run
through a procmail filter, and everything that isn't caught will be
sent along to the include file's address(es) and or file(s).

aliasname       "|/path/to/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/somercfile.rc"
aliasname-out   otheraddress(_at_)domain,etc

The rcfile should then direct anything that doesn't meet the criteria to aliasname_out (which if you wanted to, could be a commandline argument to the basic alias, so the rcfile might be used by several such aliases).

There's also documentation for sendmail on how to set things up so that users who are not local to the host system cannot access the alias (it involves setting up some entries in virtusertable as well as access db entries permitting localhost to mail.

[in virtualusertable]
To:aliasname-out@       ERROR:5.5.0:550 This is not a valid list address.

and a config tweak to your sendmail .mc file:

divert(3)dnl
LOCAL_RULESETS
# supplementary rule for allowing localhost to bypass access checks
# (thus permitting us to block access to listname-out@ aliases)
SLocal_check_rcpt
R$*             $:$&{client_addr}
R127.0.0.1      $#ok            Skip access checks for localhost

I've looked in the docs, but there's nothing that addresses this particular
situation.

That's probably because your question is about the MTA (which aliases are an option with), and not procmail. Procmail's invocation is clearly documented, as is the sendmail PROG mailer syntax.