Re: Evil Characters in Maildir filenames

2003-11-25 15:19:11
On Nov 25, 2003, at 10:38 AM, Michael J Wise wrote:

For now, I think I'm going to try and find something to add to the end of that string.

I have a little script that archives mail that is older than 7 days, and that was the initial reason I noticed this problem. Anyway, I have modified that script to do an initial "Repair" of the filenames found with such characters, and it looks like this:

        find . -type f -print |\
                cut -c3- |\
                grep '[>"]' |\
                while read thefile; do
                        newfile=`echo $thefile | tr -d '>"'`
                        oldfile=`echo $thefile | tr '>"' '??'`
                        mv $oldfile $newfile
                done

Not the most elegant of solutions, perhaps, but it seems to work.

Aloha mai Nai`a!
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
  and Usenet Registration handy..."