procmail running as the identity of the recipient

2003-12-01 01:56:36
HI!

I am using postfix to start procmail. Since it did not work with mailbox_command in main.cf ("cannot start /usr/bin/procmail"), I have procmail now configured as local_transport and the command line is in postfix' master.cf. So far, so good: procmail is being called.

Now I want procmail to run as the recipient, because of access to $HOME etc.

In master.cf, I have to configure a user (user=xxx), under which procmail initially runs. Since I cannot assign a variable (${user}) to this, I have tried nobody and a new user procmail (group users).

OK, since I cannot run procmail with the correct user initially, procmail must change its identity. There are 2 possibilities to achieve this:

-d
Here I can specify the user, but this causes missing rights errors in the mail log.

-m
Here I should be able to specify an rc file, that has to be in /etc/procmailrcs and procmail should assume the identity of the owner of that rc file. But this does not work either. In my opinion this should work, if /etc/procmailrcs has root:root 755 and /etc/procmailrcs/thomas has thomas:users 644. But it does not work. I have tried several combinations but either I get "suspicious" rc file error or procmail cannot read the rc file, because it does not have enough rights.

I have already searched through the internet and the list archive and could not find the answer.

I am running procmail like this in postfix' master.cf:
procmail unix - n n - - pipe flags=r user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/procmail -f- -t -m /etc/procmailrcs/${user} ${sender} ${recipient}

Using procmail 3.15.1 under Suse 9.0

Anyone any help?

Thanks!

Thomas