Re: Simplest Whitelist?

2003-12-01 05:53:04

        Thanks Sean, we learn from you a lot!

-Udi

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 13:12 2003-11-30 +0200, Udi Mottelo wrote:
         CLEANFROM=|formail -IReply-To: -rtzxTo:

        What about the "-t" flag in formail?  Doesn't more safety to
        use the envelop address?

         1. When on a mailing list, the envelope address can be wholly
         separate from the From:, making it a fine indicator of the
         (RE)SENDER, but not of the message AUTHOR.  Since I'm infinitely
         more interested in the author of a message - particularly when
         greenlisting or processing a TWIT filter, I want to home in on
         the AUTHOR.

         2. An increasing number of mailing list implementations use a
         hash in the envelope address, so that when the message delivery
         fails, the address to which the bounce is sent can be interpreted
         in order to determine the list recipient which is bouncing.  As an
         admin at a discussion site where we have some 20K+ users, I can
         say that it gets very frustrating when we receive some useless
         bounce from a cc:Mail / Lotus Notes / MS Exchange system that
         reports a translated local username as the failed recipient, or
         which reports a final delivery address after a message has run
         through a forwarding service (OR MULTIPLE SUCH SERVICES!)

         3. I explicitly eliminate the Reply-To: header from the address
         computation so that the header isn't used in the event of a list
         which inserts a Reply-To header for directing replies to the list.

         4. -t IS in there: -rtzxTo: