RE: Simplest Whitelist?

2003-12-07 12:37:35
Lukreme wrote:

On 28 Nov 2003, at 11:37, Dallman Ross wrote:
I have whitelists.  I use a completely other algorithm,
however.  I don't use grep at all:

  * ? test -x "$GREEN/$RP"

I like that a lot. The more I think about it, the better it is.

Thanks.

That's my whitelist.  (Okay, greenlist.)  That is, filenames
under $GREEN/ are a hash.

$RP is the Return-Path:, captured earlier via MATCH.

Is that different from the $CLEANFROM in Sean's scripts?

Not necessarily, no.  I skimmed that set of posts of Sean's.
I already do something very similar to what he discussed, also,
to get what I call the "asserted From" address.  But no, it's not
always what's in the Return-Path header.  The R-P is created
by the SMTP host, if I am not mistaken.  On my system, it is
always what is in the From_ (top) line for an address.
I strip the < and >'s from it.

 :0  # 030330 () save Return-Path in RP
  * ^Return-Path:.*<\/[^>]+
  { RP = $MATCH }

That's right out of my working .procmailrc.

Create-time tells me when the party first wrote me.  If I wanted to,
I could write dots to the (currently empty) file to tell me how
many times the party wrote me.

Another got feature

Or write the date to the file, even.  Or save the mail to it!

You should bundle this all up into a single rc for INCLUDERC.

I do.

If and when spammers screw with me and try to counterfeit
my friends'names -- which they have yet to do, and I get
some serious amounts of spam and have been targetted by
spammers with vendettas -- I have a secret Plan B
augmentation system ready.

hashing the Return address with the Received headers?

No, but certainly an extra hash.  However, I'm doubtful
it will come to that.  It would be some work for spammers
to try to decide who might be in my greenlist and throw
those names my way is spam.  If they did, well, as I said,
I'm ready.

Dallman