Not sure why....

2003-12-10 14:54:33
Hi there!

I've got a real weird one on a weird mail setup.

Mail sent to userfileserver is forwarded to a mail server,
This mail server (RH9) runs postfix, procmail and spamassassin, then drops
the filtered mail into the users's home directory.

This is done by setting the 'DEFAULT=~/inbox'
It WORKS for delivery, however, when procmail encounters an
error (disk quota exceeded, or I exit with a EXITCODE=77) the mail server
reports a failure to open /var/spool/mail/username.

It seems that the 'logic' in postfix in this case, is if procmail returns
an error code, to try to deliver the mail directly to
/var/spool/mail/username rather than correctly bouncing it? I haven't
tried this to see what it actually does if a spool file is writable. -
currently it bounces mail once it can't access the spool directory.
But this is of concern because I intend to make this server the primary
mail server, and userfiles host.

So understanding this would be good.
I'll play aroundd with it some more, but if anyone has any pointers....

- Charles