Re: Not sure why....

2003-12-10 23:24:05
At 23:58 2003-12-10 -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
Well, I would think that the 'mechanism for control' would be the
exitcodes that are returned from procmail.

ANd if you return an exit code, that's all procmail can do - if your MTA does something different, or emits an unusual message to the sender, that's an MTA problem.

Presumably there is one set that tells the MTA that delivery failed and to send a Delivery Failure Notice, and then another set to say that the LDA failed to handle the mail, and that the MTA should attempt delivery using its built-in routines.

Don't make me laugh - the MTA handed the message to the LDA because it's the LDA's job to deliver the message. There is no fallback.

The *latter* seems to be what is happening in postfix, and so I question whether there is aproblem with the exitcodes, or a known compatibility issue with postfix....

Possibly postfix trying to provide fallback when it's not expected to.

In any event, you could write yourself a little program which does nothing more than return a specific exitcode and set your MTA to deliver using that program, and you'd be able to see the same thing happen, thereby reinforcing that it's an MTA problem.