RE: Email Forward broke

2003-12-11 11:44:05
the results of ls -al /var/spool/mail/li are:

folder or file does not exist.

-----Original Message-----
From: procmail-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
[mailto:procmail-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE]On Behalf Of
Professional
Software Engineering
Sent: December 11, 2003 10:41 AM
To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Re: Email Forward broke

At 09:19 2003-12-11 -0700, Daniel Kaliel wrote:
I had everything working, except for the fact that our server died daily
trying to handle large emails.  So I did some reading and changed the way
our server did things.

Out of curiosity:
         1. Did you _save_ the original working setup?
         2. What changed - that seems the place to start looking for a
problem.

Then, the contents of /etc/procmailrc are:

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 384000
| spamassassin

Uhm, I note that between here and forwarding it to user's blackberries,
there's no rules that scuttle spam, or at least _NOT_ forward spam-flagged
messages to the blackberry account.  Seems like this would be a worthwhile,
since the wireless devices could be flooded with spew.

Then in each users folder there is a .procmailrc file.  For the partners
with blackberries it looks like:

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/
DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail

You shouldn't need to SET DEFAULT.  In fact, that REALLY looks like the
wrong value being assigned - you're defining a directory name, where
default would normally have a MAILBOX.

LOGFILE=$HOME/proclog

:0 c
! blackberry(_at_)forward(_dot_)com

The error message in proclog says:

couldn't create or rename temp file.  "/var/spool/mail/il -oi
blackberry(_at_)forward(_dot_)com"

It seems that it is taking the last part of the sendmail command, and
trying
to deliver the message locally rather than forwarding.  Any Ideas?

The $SENDMAIL command _IS_ how procmail does a forward.  That -oi would be
sendmail flags, but not being a user of postfix, I don't know what li is,
but IMO, that seems totally STUPID if they actually put their sendmail stub
program in /var/spool/mail/

In any event, in a secured system, joe schmoe shouldn't have perms to
create arbitrary files anywhere underneath /var/, and as a result, you'll
be unable to create files within that heirarchy when running commands from
within a user procmailc.

Find out why your $SENDMAIL is being defined to this /var/spool/mail/li,
and IF it is actually a legit stub, why the hell your MTA is so braindead
as to even THINK it should create temp files there, instead of perhaps
under /tmp/ (the MTA, of all programs, should know the significance of the
mailspool dir).

When you get around to following up, post the results of:

         ls -al /var/spool/mail/li

  Procmail disclaimer:
<http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html>