Re: Procmail newbie - Need some direction.

2004-01-13 16:05:05
At 14:09 2004-01-13 -0800, Coexec wrote:
1. Detach the .wav file to somthing like $HOME/wav and
pass the attachments name to a perl script.

MIMEDECODE.  Search the archives.

Converting them to MP3 might be a sensible thing to do. Perhaps though you should consider getting on the case of the appliance maker to generate the files as MP3?

3. Replace the wav attachment as the new mp3
attachment.

Basically, you're creating a new message.

I am not sure that procmail is the tool that I need to
use.

Procmail can invoke the external processes - it'll MANAGE the process, but won't actually do the extract/convert/rewrite -- that needs to be done by supporting programs.

  Can anyone make any recommendations?  I have
been reading through the FAQ's and the docs, I can
detach the attachment, but I do not know how to
replace the attachment.

'f'ilter flag. Pass the whole message to a script, and have that script write a completely re-encoded message to it's stdout.