Re: Problem passing on MS Office files.

2004-01-19 13:48:27
Gary Funck wrote:

Sean Straw replied:
Since the problem posted involved the /etc/procmailrc file, it's a really
good idea to set the logfile to something other than $HOME, and also to
suspend logging at the end of the /etc/procmailrc.

Good point. Let me rephrase my recommendation. While you're learning
procmail
and testing new recipes, it is a good idea to work within the confines of a
user
account. That way, any damage done is localized to that account. Thus, you'd
only modify /etc/procmailrc once you believe you have something working that
is suitable for system-wide use. And generally, rules that do things like
categorically
dump messages that a program/script deems is spam, into /dev/null, is _not_
a good
thing to do at the system-level, because (1) programs make mistakes, and (2)
spam is
different depending upon the eye of the beholder. Most system-level spam
filters
simply mark possible spam by adding a mail header field, which is
subsequently fielded
by the user's own mail processing filters (often, procmail).

When running procmail as a given user, in most common configurations,
procmail
will look for its recipes in the user's $HOME/.procmailrc file, and that's
where
you'd do your testing.

In the short time I've been working with procmail and spamd, it almost seems like you'd be better off running on a per-user basis WITHOUT spamd.

What has everyone's experience with this been? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks!

Chris