Re: Procmail+Spamassassin

2004-01-22 09:52:46
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jfabricio - Coordenador de TI wrote:

      I'm using a RedHat 7.3 with + RH Kernel 2.4.20-28.7 + sendmail
8.12.8 + mailscanner 3.27-1 + f-prot 3.12b-1 + Spamassassin 2.61-1 +
Procmail 3.22-5.
      It is working fine, but I still loosing mail.
      We know it is because the Spamassassin still using a Spam block
List and deleting the spam messages.

You mean, it's because you've configured the mailscanner milter such that
sendmail rejects the messages that spamassassin identifies as spam.
Right?  Because spamassassin is strictly a pass-through filter, it does
not "delete" anything.

      But we don't have an option on the mailscanner.conf to reply with
a message to the sender.

Which is a good thing, because the sender on most spam is a falsified
address, and if you send a reply to that address it's either going to
bounce, or annoy some innocent third party.

It would be MUCH preferable if you changed the sendmail configuration so
that it placed the "contact us to white list" message in the error string
that is returned at the time the message is rejected.  If the sender is
not falsified, his own mail system will eventually show him that error
string so he knows what to do; and if it IS a forgery, it's far less
likely that anything annoying will happen.

If you're not able to do that, accept the spam-tagged messages, put them
in a temporary quarantine mailbox from which "false positives" can be
recovered, and forget about notifying the sender at all.