Re. folder problem

2004-02-11 02:28:09
Thanks, SBS.

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply but I've been doing other
things & discovered mozilla-thunderbird which has grown on me in the interim, but is in the end no substitute for procmail/mutt/exim4/clamav/spamsassasin,
if I can get the folders to work.

I'd suggest checking your syslog and seeing what is in there.

You were right. There was no mention of procmail.
[I renamed ~/.forward to ~/.forward1 as it was not necessary.]
... so procmail was not being invoked.

At 13:57 2004-01-20 +1300, Adam Bogacki wrote:
>I rewrote my /home/adam/.procmailrc from scratch and created a .forward
>file based on your notes and man pages. See below.
If procmail is in fact being invoked as the LDA by your non-sendmail MTA
config, a .forward is redundant, and therefore undesired.  You should
confirm what the LDA is set as in your exim setup.

/etc/exim/exim.conf gave me

# This transport is used for procmail
procmail_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  command = "/usr/bin/procmail"
  return_path_add
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
# check_string = "From "
# escape_string = ">From "
  suffix = ""
# This transport is used for delivering messages over SMTP connections. remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
# authenticate_hosts = smarthost.isp.com

Looking at /etc/exim4 I get

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
#
# Edit this file and /etc/mailname by hand and execute update-exim4.conf
# yourself or use 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'
dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost=''
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='smtp.paradise.co.nz byname"'
dc_never_users='never_users = root'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='true'

Is this correct ? Should my dc_smarthost be
'smtp.paradise.co.nz byname"' ?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frankly, I'm confused. I find I've got both /etc/exim and
/etc/exim4 in the file system. I assumed that apt-installing
exim4 would delete exim. I don't know where to look in exim4
files to find the LDA - but think procmail was set up to do so in exim.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Unfortunately, none of the recipes seem to work ...
But at this point, do you know that procmail is actually being invoked?

The answer would seem to be no at present.

>>FQDN: Tux
THAT still bothers me. An FQDN should incorporate a domain and a
TLD.  "tux.paradise.net.nz" perhaps.

I have edited my /etc/hosts as below. I hope it works.

127.0.0.1       localhost
203.79.110.81   tux.paradise.net.nz             loghost
# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
...............<snip>................................ # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
~
"hosts" 22L, 424C

I hope you make more sense out of this than I did.

Cheers,

Adam Bogacki,
afb(_at_)paradise(_dot_)net(_dot_)nz